Saturday, March 20, 2010

Work

Hi guys, as some of you might know.


I'm already working and so far I must say that there are ups and downs throughout this past 2 weeks at work.


Let me start with the initial process, it has to be during the first week of course. I was constantly, frantically, copying down a plethora amount of notes because I realised that they are teaching me whatever they know through their experiences and there are no manuals around or any standard operational procedures.


So I thought I might be able to remember a lot more of what they say by recording them down in what they call the "Holy Bible" later on.


Other than copying, I was doing on-job training, which literally means that after I'm thought one thing, I'm required to execute it immediately for the next few hours before I learn something new again. So I repeated this process for the other skills I have to master for the next few days.


After a while, I got a hang of things and I thought to myself, "Hey this job isn't half bad, I get $8 a day and the job scope is not too harsh and the colleagues are super hilarious."



Example of a conversation they had,


A: Hey, have you seen the Jack Neo's article?

B: Yes I did!

C, D, E: OMG I DID ALSO !?!?!?!

A: Very the bad hor the jack neo.

C: Aiya, if I were the wife hor, I also won't divorce him, I can live off him for the rest of my life leh.

B: But if you divorce him you get the alimony leh, must be a huge amount also.

D: You very myopic leh, if you divorce him your alimony is that fixed amount, but if you stay with him, you can constantly ask for anything you want lo.

E: EEeeeeeeee, you all damn money-minded leh.

A,B,C, D: You not meh?!?!?!?!?

E: Actually I also la !!!

A,B,C,D, E: HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!


And the entire office bursted out laughing at the 5 of them. It was epic man.


Yeah, but during my 2nd week, everything start to change, both my attitude and mindset towards the job. What makes me change the most is that almost all the temporary staffs are leaving.


To be honest, we only have 3 permanent staff out of the 20 staffs in the office. Why is that so? This is because the long-term temporary staffs are usually studying at SIM and surprisingly most of them are leaving by the end of this month! Also, the rest of the short-term temporary staffs are leaving for National Service, Polytechnic Institutions, or other jobs for new experiences.


This also mean that my status suddenly surged all the way up to a senior staff when I'm only there for 2 weeks? I'm now ranked 3 in my department and I'm already teaching the newer guys. Unbelievable right? When I'm actually still in the midst of training.


Almost everyone who is leaving gave me a caveat, they said that the longer you stay, the more you are required to learn and the more you do and naturally the more blame you get when things go wrong.


At that point in time, I felt really despondent and I almost had the urge to leave with them as well. The leaving spree seems to have galvanized my spirit and optimism altogether.


But, there's yet another turning point which made me stay.


1. One of my friends are working there with me but he's in a different team but he told me that I just have to stick it out with him and everything will be fine.


2. My outside friends told me that I have to be grateful for all the wonderful colleagues I have, including a super-nice supervisor. They mentioned that their supervisors are very mean and almost like a pharaoh in nature.


3. When I complained that my job is a little stultifying, they told me that that's probably the best we can do now as an A-level student because most of the employees will not allow temporary staffs to handle projects and stuff. At the very most, you will be providing admin support to the project team and it stops there.


So after considering what they said and the fact that this job is offering me a high pay plus shift allowances, I thought that it is not that bad afterall.


It's really how you look at the job and the people around you.


To me, what's pivotal now is that the job offers me a lot of opportunities to learn about human interactions and how they deal with mundane work. I realised that some of them can actually spice up the environment and make the job fun! There's really alot to learn from these people.


For that, I will continue to work hard and strive for the very best while at the same time pick up the important human-relations skills from my peers.


On a side note, my notes were taken and photocopied to be passed down to the new people who will come the next time. Haha so proud of myself! Now, we have a manuel.


I love my job, I love my job, I love my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment