Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Conundrum & Dilemma

Hey guys, good news !!!

I have finally gotten a job but I must say my life is overly-dramatic and that is just an understatement.

Here is why. . .

Day 1 :

Me and Fu Qi went to these 2 companies introduced by 2 different agents for interviews.

Agent A

Salary : $7 per hour
Location: Near my house
Working hours: Shift and OTs

Agent B

Salary: $8 per hour
Location: 30 minutes away from my house
Working hours: Shift and OTs

So, by the end of these 2 interviews, me and fu qi were pretty confident that we got the job at Company B in the bag already because we thought we performed oustandingly during the group interview.

But, I thought of a problem.

That is, what if Company A calls us before Company B tomorrow and demand that we have to sign the contract tomorrow? That will be a major conundrum for us because we want to wait for Company B's reply.


Obviously Company A will not let us do that right? They will push us and demand that we sign it now or it's counted as us giving up the job.

But our concern is that we want the job at Company B but if we reject the one at Company A impulsively, then what if the one at Company B rejects us too?

Won't we be left with all or nothing?

But, Fu Qi told me not to worry about it because such a scenario won't happen and even if it does, we will play by ear.

So, I agreed but deep inside my mind, I was already thinking of a contingency plan myself.

So let's move on to Day 2 which will be mentioned on my next post.















Just Kidding.


Day 2

If there's one word to describe Day 2, it's most apt to use the word "HELL"

Haha, I'm serious, it was seriously hell man.

As expected, what I thought came true.

Agent A called me.

Agent A: Hey Aaron, you got the job!

Me: Oh really? How about Fu Qi?

Agent A: Yeah, you both got it! I need you both to come down to my office now to sign the contract.

Me: Now? But, I'm attending my friend's 21st birthday party. Can it be tomorrow? (I was trying to temporize if you realize hehe)

Agent A: No. It is a must to sign it today, I'm sorry but you will have to come down today.

Me: Hmmmm... Okay I ask Fu Qi.

Hang up.

Calling Fu Qi . . .

Fu Qi: Hello.

Me: Hey, Agent A just called me and he said that we both got the job you know. But he refused to stall the job for us till tomorrow so we have to sign the contract today no matter what.

Fu Qi: Then how about the one with Agent B at $8 per hour?

Me: Still no reply. Never mind, I will call her now. I get back to you again.

Hang Up.

Calling Agent B. . .

Agent B: Hi

Me: Hey, Aaron here. May I know the results of the interview I went for yesterday?

Agent B: Oh, I didn't receive any results till now but the company told me that they will get back to me by today.

Me: Are you serious? But company A has already offered me the job!

Agent B: Oh really? Can you try to delay him for a while more?

Me: But how long do you need me to delay him for? He said that I have to sign the contract by today or the offer is called-off.

Agent B: I think he's just trying to cheat you. He probably can drag it till tomorrow.

Me: Really? How preposterous!

Agent B: Anyway, don't worry. I will go and chase the people now and I will get back to you ASAP okay?

Me: Okay.

Hang up

Calling Agent A. . .

Me: Hey, it's Aaron here, I'm sorry but I really cannot sign the contract by today. Hence, I have decided to pass up the job.

Agent A: Huh but it's just 5 minutes. You can sign and go. Or perhaps you have another job offer? (Wow, he's good)

Me: Haha, okay to be honest with you. I do and she said that she will get back to me by today.

Agent A: Really? But it's already 3pm. I think they already rejected you or something.

Me: (wth? they didn't please) Oh no no, she told me that the HR manager is not around so she can only get back to me later on.

Agent A: Oh but you sure you want to give it up? I mean $7 per hour for A level students is quite high you know?

Me: Yeah, I know but the $8 is far more attractive and I can't possibly ask you to hold it for me can I? It's very selfish. (Inside my mind, I'm thinking if I use this ruse to get him to delay the contract for me).

Agent A: Oh then it's okay, thanks and bye bye.

Me: Damn it why did he hang up.

5 minutes later,

Agent A: Hello, Aaron. I called the manager and told him about your scenario already. He told me that he can drag it for you guys till the end of today, which is around 6pm.

Me: (Haha, I win) Oh thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hang up.

So, I was waiting and waiting and waiting.

To my dismay, it was already 5:30pm.

30 minutes from the dateline.

I was really apprehensive and panicky at this moment to be honest with you.

I was thinking, do I really have to capitulate and submit myself to the $7 per hour job without waiting for the $8 per hour job's reply?

So it's 5:45pm.

Ring Ring . . .

Agent B: Hello Aaron ? I got a bad news and good news for you.

Me: Oh shit!

Agent B: Haha, don't worry man. The good news is that you got the job. The bad news is that they can only approve Fu Qi this friday because the manager is not around. It's part of their procedures you see.

Me: Oh thank god! You called just in time man.

Agent B: Yes I know, thank god I made it.

Me: Phew!

Okay, end of story.

Dramatic right?

Leave your comments if you like

Sorry for the super long post without any pictures.

Thanks for reading anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment