Thursday, October 21, 2010

Head of IT

Yesterday, I went down to Changi Airport along with my IT group mates to meet up with the Head of IT from Tiger Airways


He was incredibly friendly and we did manage to receive alot of information from him about the future of IT and its new IT system. Definitely a great learning experience for me.


But the most important thing is that I learnt something after I left the restaurant. I was talking alongside him, asking him whether he has plans to head on to a more prestigious airline in the future.


He told me that most probably not for now because he enjoys the flexibility in a "start-up" company because its vibrant and there are lots of things happening. There are not much restrictions and basically you can be as innovative as you want to be, basically they encourage experimentation.


Conversely, for an established full-service airline, it is harder for that to happen because things tend to get a bit rigid as they stick to the old way of doing things. There are not much changes along the way and things start to slow down and get dull.


I have to agree with him. He offered me a new perspective on start-ups.


I'm always disappointed after entering into an established place because I had such high expectations of them as I look at them from the outside. But when I walk in, everything is so far from what I had expected. It is so rigid as mentioned by the Head of IT.


I have very high expectations of business people because I watched The Apprentice and he is definitely a worthy candidate when it comes to a great person. He has impressed me during the short interview with him and I did manage to pick up a lot of important skills from him.


What a pleasure to meet him. I guess I need to meet more capable people like him or my expectations will soon drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment